Garden d’Lights Frequently Asked Questions
Where: Bellevue Botanical Garden, 12001 Main Street, Bellevue, 98005
When: Saturday, November 30 – Sunday, December 31, 2019 (including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve)
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (the lights go out at 9:30 p.m.)
Cost: $5.00, 11 years and over; children 10 and under are free. We accept cash and major credit/debit cards.
The display is outdoors on a well-lit pathway. You can plan on walking 3/4 mile including the walk from your car. Your time will vary depending on how long you pause to enjoy this one-of-a-kind display. The average time it takes to see the lights is 30-45 minutes.
We will be open, even if it rains. In the event of more severe weather, see “Weather” below.
Tickets are available for purchase at the display entrance on a first-come first-served basis. To avoid ticket lines, we recommend buying your ticket online.
Limited Mobility Parking
Some free disabled parking is available in the Garden’s parking lot, located at 12001 Main St., for those with limited mobility. You must have a disabled parking permit to park for free in this monitored lot. You may also drop passengers off in the loading zone and proceed to free parking off-site, or pay $5 to park in the Garden’s parking lot (cash only).
- There are disabled parking spots available in our lot for vehicles displaying a state-issued disabled parking permit. There is no charge to park in these spots.
- We do not have wheelchairs available at the event.
- Accessible restrooms are located near the Trillium Store.
- The pathways around the buildings, up to the Shorts House, and the Shorts House patio are paved, and many lights can be seen from there. It is about a 1/8 mile walk to the Shorts House.
- The majority of pathways through the lights are gravel. The gravel is 3/8 minus, which packs down and is considered an ADA-compliant material.
- Many of the pathways are slightly sloped. You pay also encounter puddles and steps, depending on the route you take.
- For assisted groups, the ratio of caregiver to your guests should be about 1:5. Please stay with your group to ensure everyone’s safety.
- All visitors should dress for the weather; non-skid shoes are recommended.
- The entire route is approximately 3/4 of a mile. Please allow at least 45 minutes to tour Garden d’Lights.
- Accessibility Guides available upon request.
Bus, RideShare and Shuttle Load/Unload Zone
Rideshare vehicles, shuttles and buses may drop off and pick up passengers in the loading zone at the Garden at 12001 Main Street. NO BUS OR SHUTTLE PARKING is available at the Garden. Please see our Directions and Parking page for directions to Wilburton Hill Park for bus and shuttle parking.
Cost is $5.00 per person. Children 10 and under are free and do no need a ticket. We accept cash and major credit/debit cards. Garden members receive free tickets. See “Members” below.
A map of the current year’s route, which includes a list of the animal creations for you to find, is available at the door or for download beginning in late November.
We are often asked if we offer military, senior, group, or other discounts for Garden d’Lights. Garden d’Lights is produced by the Bellevue Botanical Garden Society, a non-profit organization, and we use proceeds from this event to support our educational programs, and to make improvements to the Bellevue Botanical Garden. For this reason, we do not offer discounts for this event.
We will offer live musical entertainment most nights of Garden d’Lights. Entry to musical performances is included with your Garden d’Lights ticket. Performance locations are either the Gathering Place (just inside the main entrance), or the Aaron Education Center (north of the main entrance). End times of performances vary by group, but each performance will last between 30 and 60 minutes.
2019 Musical Line-Up:
- Sunday, December 1, Bellevue College Faculty and Staff Choir, 5:30pm, location TBA
- Monday, December 2, NW Sounds Men’s Chorus, 6pm in the Gathering Place
- Wednesday, December 4, Rainy Day Brass Quintet, 6pm in the Gathering Place
- Saturday, December 7, BYSO Holiday Flute Tour, 5:30-6:30pm in the Gathering Place
- Sunday, December 8, Tri-M Club, 5:30pm in the Ed Center
- Monday, December 9, Hana Hou Ukulele Band, 5pm in the Ed Center
- Tuesday, December 10, Misty Mountain Two, 6pm
- Wednesday, December 11, Bellevue Youth Choirs, Time TBD in the Gathering Place
- Friday, December 13, Joe Fina Four, 6pm in the Ed Center
- Saturday, December 14, Zoot Alors Quartet, 6-7pm in the Ed Center
- Sunday, December 15, Music Matters Foundation, 5:30-6:30pm in the Gathering Place
- Monday, December 16, Sammamish Symphony Quartet, 6pm in the Ed Center
- Tuesday, December 17, Spring Hill Ensemble, 6pm in the Ed Center
- Wednesday, December 18, Knight Sounds, 6pm in the Gathering Place
- Saturday, December 21st, Sammamish Youth Chamber Orchestra, 5pm in the Ed Center
- Sunday, December 22, Tri-M Club, 5:30pm in the Ed Center
- Monday, December 30, Emerald City Ringers, 6pm in the Ed Center
This year there are no free nights at Garden d’Lights. Rather than free nights, tickets for those in need have been distributed through human services agencies in the community. This provides flexibility for those using these tickets and helps manage crowds at the event. We have partnered with local human services organizations that directly serve people in our community to distribute these tickets in advance of the night of attendance. Distributing tickets through local nonprofits enables us to more effectively and directly reach those people who will most benefit from this program. Garden d’Lights is a Bellevue Botanical Garden Society event and all inquiries should be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Trillium Store is open every evening from 4:30-9:30pm during Garden d’Lights. Can’t make it to the event? The Store is also open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00am-4:00pm
Gingerbread Village by Wilburton Community
Come to the Aaron Education Center to see the amazing Gingerbread Village, created especially for Garden d’Lights by our Wilburton neighbors.
Lost and Found
If you have found an item, please bring it to the Trillium Store. For lost items, please leave a voice mail message at the Garden office at 425-452-2750 or email us. Please include your name and contact information, a description of the lost item, and a photo if possible.
Lost Ticket/No Printer
You can present an image of your ticket barcode on your smartphone.
Garden Society members will receive a free pass for one with an individual membership, or a free pass for four with a family membership. We mail admission passes to current members in November. Bring them with you for admittance to the show on the night of your choice. Not a member yet? Join now!
Sorry, dogs and other pets are not allowed at Garden d’Lights or anywhere in the Garden. Service animals only are permitted.
For professional photography permit information, please leave a message for the Garden Office at 425-452-2750.
Hot drinks and snacks are available for purchase in The Aaron Education Center. Please enjoy your treats indoors. There are no restaurants at the Garden or within easy walking distance of the Garden.
Tickets are not refundable. If you are unable to use your tickets, please give them to a friend, or consider the cost of your tickets as a donation to the non-profit Bellevue Botanical Garden Society.
Accessible restrooms are located near the Trillium Store.
Avoid the line by buying your ticket online! Express entry provided for those who purchase tickets in advance. Tickets can be used on any night. You can print your ticket, or show your ticket barcode on your smartphone. Customers needing live assistance with buying online tickets can call our 24-hour answering service at 888-959-6841. Please note that this line is not for event questions or comments. If you have questions or comments about the event, please email us or call the Garden at 425-452-2750.
Tickets can also be purchased at the event. Cost is $5 per person. We accept cash and major credit and debit cards. Children 10 and under are free and do not need a ticket.
Paper tickets can be purchased at the Trillium Store beginning November 1. These are suitable for gift-giving.
Tickets on Your Smartphone
You don’t need to print your ticket if you can show your ticket barcode on your smartphone.
Tickets are good for the whole evening; there are no set entry times. Last entry is at 9:00 pm. The lights are turned off at 9:30 pm.
While we plan carefully to make our system run smoothly, please be patient. Allow plenty of time for parking and entering the show. This event is coordinated almost entirely by volunteers, enriching our community through their service.
The event goes on rain or shine every night including holidays. On occasion, it may be necessary to cancel the event because of snow, ice, high winds, or other adverse weather conditions. If we cancel the event due to weather or power outage, we will post an alert on this website, our Facebook page (Garden d’Lights) and Twitter (@bellevuebotanic).
We are not able to accommodate wedding photography during Garden d’Lights. Please leave a message for the Garden Office at 425-452-2750 if you are interested in wedding photography after Garden d’Lights.
Recorded Event Information: 425-452-6844.
Assistance buying online tickets: Call our 24-hour answering service at 888-959-6841. Please note that this line is not for event questions or comments. If you have questions or comments about the event, please email us or call the Garden at 425-452-2750.